Delicious (and Easy!) Homemade Applesauce
In our house, we are big fans of applesauce - we go through it quite quickly. I have discovered the most delightful thing...applesauce is quite simple to make!
I can't speak for cost savings, since you still have to buy the apples and all that - but store-bought applesauce just doesn't compare with homemade when it comes to taste.
Below is my own personal applesauce that I've made for us, and it is quite a hit! You can add more sugar to your liking (or decrease the cinnamon) if it's not sweet enough for you, but I think it's the perfect amount considering the apples lend their own sweetness. This particular recipe makes about 1 pound of applesauce (the photo above shows 2 batches in the container).
4 Gala apples
3/4 cup water
3 Tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Core and peel the apples, then dice.
2. Add to medium pot with water, sugar, and cinnamon - stir.
3. Cook over medium heat, covered, for about 20 minutes, or until apples are tender (stir a couple of times throughout).
4. Transfer to bowl and allow to cool.
5. Mash up with a fork to desired consistency.
6. Funnel into clean applesauce container, or mason jar - keep refrigerated.
There you have it! Your very own homemade applesauce! It's so easy - and it smells divine while it's cooking! Let me know in the comments if you decide to make your own, and any variations you might have used. Happy Applesauce-ing!